Monday, November 4, 2019

Romanov- Nadine Brandes

My Rating: 4 Stars

Description: The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.


Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them, and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of saving herself and her family are to either release the spell and deal with the consequences, or enlist help from Zash, the handsome soldier who doesn’t act like the average Bolshevik. Nastya has only dabbled in magic, but it doesn’t frighten her half as much as her growing attraction to Zash. She likes him. She thinks he might even like her.

That is, until she’s on one side of a firing squad . . . and he’s on the other.


My Thoughts: When I had looked at my shelves the other week, I had been in the mood for something fun and easy to read. Romanov stood out, and I quickly devoured it in a couple of late nights. Nadine's writing is smooth and gripping, bringing about an engrossing story.

Being familiar with the story of Anastasia, I was prepared for certain aspects of this story which I know have taken other readers by surprise. However, there were still a few twists for those who think they might already know how this story plays out. And that's always a nice surprise when it comes to historical retellings.

The main draw back to this novel was that there perhaps could have been more too it. Compared to many other books in the genre, this is rather short and that affected the story in some regard. I felt that there was much more I wanted to know about the magic system, as well as how this story ending would have affected this version of history beyond what occurs in this book.

However, rather than causing me to dislike this story, it just created a hope that maybe Nadine will decide to write a sequel. One that perhaps is from the perspective of another character who might have a story to tell and can build upon what this book started.

I have provided an honest review after having received a copy of this book through the Fiction Guild.

No comments:

Post a Comment