Friday, May 15, 2015

Numbers Game- Rebecca Rode

My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Description: Treena is nervous for Rating Day. A single number will brand her forever—a valuable citizen, or a pathetic waste of space. Her top-Rated boyfriend is confident their scores will coincide so they can attend the academy together. But when the big day arrives, her true number shocks everyone.

To get her life and boyfriend back, she must go undercover and expose a military spy. Doesn’t sound too hard, except that someone wants her dead. And then there’s Vance, the mysterious soldier with a haunted past and beautiful brown eyes. Together, they discover a dark numbers conspiracy, one that shatters the nation’s future. Treena must join up with Vance if she is to survive the dangerous game of numbers—and the terrible war that rages within her heart.


My Thoughts: Numbers Game begins like most any other YA dystopian, with a right of passage into society at the age of sixteen which propels the characters into the adult conflicts of their world. For the first quarter of the book, I have to admit that I was far from enamored with the plot line, however, toward the end, I liked it enough that I am really looking forward to reading the next book.

To begin with, I found Treena's goals and motions to be rather shallow. The things she did to, as it says in the description, get her boyfriend back, were rather foolish. That, and Vance's open disgust for all people, made me question if the Numbers Game was going to be worth finishing.

I'm not sure at what point exactly my opinion of the characters changed. Probably some where when Treena realized the stupidity of her motivations and Vance actually started to be civil. At that point, I found Treena to be one of the most relatable heroines I have found in YA dystopians and Vance became a hero worth rooting for.

Numbers Game is by no means perfect. But I think it is one you can love despite its flaws. And when looking at my rating, remember that every book is more than its numbers (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist).

I received this e-book through I'm A Reader, Not a Writer's review program.

No comments:

Post a Comment