Monday, January 11, 2016

A Time to Speak- Nadine Brandes

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Descriptions: What happens when you live longer than you wanted to?

Parvin Blackwater wanted to die, but now she’s being called to be a leader. The only problem is, no one wants to follow.

The Council is using Jude’s Clock-matching invention to force “new-and-improved” Clocks on the public. Those who can’t afford one are packed into boxcars like cattle and used for the Council’s purposes. Parvin and Solomon team up to rescue the people. Instead, they find themselves on a cargo ship of Radicals headed out to sea. What will the Council do to them? And why are people suddenly dying before their Clocks have zeroed-out?


My Thoughts: A Time to Speak is even better than the first book, A Time to Die, which many of us can surely agree does not often happen in the middle book of a series. Yet I found this world far easier to digest and understand, with a good portion of the story taking place in Unity Village instead of an environment and culture that I am completely unfamiliar with. While A Time to Die was engaging, A Time to Speak was relatable.

When Parvin hears God telling her to SPEAK, I felt a true connection to her predicament and the knowledge that she should do something that she is terrified off. I felt for her every time she had to ask God to give her courage, to make her rely on him so much that she wasn't afraid to speak.

I was very tempted to give this 5 stars, though after thinking about it decided that I could not say I found the book perfect. This was mostly because of Frenchie and Madam's characters, two individuals whose real names Parvin never seemed inclined to learn even though they have a lot of scene time. Both characters are supposed to be French and Nadine chose to show this by altering the spelling of words they said to reflect pronunciation rather than speech patterns. While not a glaring problem, it still irritated me to the point where I wished those characters had not existed.

Even with my dislike of Frenchie and Madam, I absolutely loved A Time to Speak and now cannot wait for A Time to Rise. This is one of the few books I have purchased recently and it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment