Monday, January 6, 2014

Writing Tip- Time off

We all need time off. From work, from school, and yes, even from writing. I have seen many times where someone has said that we should write everyday, and I have always had an issue with this.

Life is short. Do stuff that matters.Writing it fun, that's why we do it, but it is also difficult and exhausting. It takes a lot of creativity and energy. A lot of time away from other things, like family and friends. So we cannot write every day. Don't get me wrong, I believe that we need to write as often as possible, but we do need breaks. And there is no shame in admitting it.

One day every week, I do not let myself write. Just one, and it can not be a day where I spent most of my time at work. And this day off never reduces the number of words I write.

The reason is that this day off gives me a chance to enjoy life, to experience what I write about. I can watch movies, read books, write blog posts (like I am today), or any other number of things. You can even go to that rarely-seen-by-the-author realm, Outside. And when I come back from that day off, on average, I write nearly twice as much as I usually do.

Remember, there is a reason we take two days off of work and school each week. There is a reason for the day of rest. Because we all need it.

What will you do with your day off?

2 comments:

  1. On my day off, I try to spend time with my family and then just sit down and read a good book to relax my brains.

    ReplyDelete