Friday, June 26, 2015

Jordan Update- The First Week

The First Days
For the first day here, there were only two students and the most of the staff here at our Darna Village hotel. We spent the day hanging out, waiting for the rest of the students to arrive sometime that night. It was a slow day of laying out by the pool and trying not to sleep too much and throw off our sleep schedules. Even after everyone else arrived, we still spent most of our time just laying around.

I took quite a few pictures at this point, as our hotel overlooks the Red Sea, and Egypt beyond that.


Ramadan
For anyone unfamiliar with the Muslim world, last Friday marked the start of Ramadan. This is a Muslim holiday (similar to the Catholic Lent) in which they fast during day light hours for a month. Our hosts pointed out to us the crescent moon which marked the start of this holiday.

Aqaba
Because of Ramadan, none of the shops in Aqaba were open during the day, so we made our first shopping trek into Aqaba on Saturday. There were a lot of people out, along with vendors trying to sell us all sorts of things. It's given me some ideas as to what I can put in the Goody Box prize, but there are still a few other places I can purchase that item.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of downtown Aqaba at this time was I did not want to take my camera there the first night. Hopefully I will get a chance to take some.

So how are all of you doing? I hope you are enjoying these posts!

Bookishqueen
Rebekah Gyger

No comments:

Post a Comment