Monday, February 26, 2018

Keturah- Lisa T. Bergren


My Rating: 4 Stars

Description: In 1772 England, Lady Keturah Banning Tomlinson and her sisters find themselves the heiresses of their father's estates and know they have one option: Go to the West Indies to save what is left of their heritage.

Although it flies against all the conventions for women of the time, they're determined to make their own way in the world. But once they arrive in the Caribbean, proper gender roles are the least of their concerns. On the infamous island of Nevis, the sisters discover the legacy of the legendary sugar barons has vastly declined--and that's just the start of
what their eyes are opened to in this unfamiliar world.

Keturah never intends to put herself at the mercy of a man again, but every man on the island seems to be trying to win her hand and, with it, the ownership of her plantation. She could desperately use an ally, but even an unexpected reunion with a childhood friend leaves her questioning his motives.

Set on keeping her family together and saving her father's once-great plantation, can Keturah ever surrender her stubbornness and guarded heart to God and find the healing and love awaiting her?


My Thoughts: Sometimes, there are books that you really enjoy despite their flaws. I first started reading Lisa's books when she first came out with The River of Time trilogy, and I stuck though even when that trilogy became a series in which the last books seemed unnecessary. And I had almost lost hope after reading Three Wishes, which seemed to me to be the exact same story as The River of Time. So, when I saw Keturah up for review, I was slightly hesitant, afraid it would be another River of Time knock off, however, I can now assure that this is a story that stands all on its own.

Set in a landscape that is fairly unusual in the Christian Fiction genre, Keturah deals with sisters trying to make their way in a world that tries to set boundaries for them. The people who live on the island with them have a predetermined way that they believe everyone should live and go out of their way to force others into that mold. And this came as a struggle that was relatable to me. I know what it feels like to have people question your career choice because of your gender or to urge you that marriage is the best option you could hope for. I found myself wanting Keturah to succeed and for her to do it on her own terms, in her own way.

Which, as I have already said, did not make me blind to the story's flaws. There were quiet a few instances where internal monologue was repeating thoughts already expressed earlier in the story. It also felt as though the ending of the book was rushed simply because the author (or maybe publisher) only wanted to give Keturah this one book when she could have easily been the heroine of at least another two on her own. However, despite the fact that I would have rathered the conclusion of this story have been postponed through another novel, I am interested in seeing the other sisters' stories. Particularly since one of them has a pet hawk.

I have provided an honest review after having received a copy of the book from through Litfuse.



 Enter to win a copy of Keturah. Five winners will be chosen! Click the image below to enter to win. The winners will be announced March 13 on the Litfuse blog!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment