Monday, March 5, 2018

How to Be a Perfect Christian- The Babylon Bee

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Description: With a biting, satirical style reminiscent of The Onion, How to Be a Perfect Christian takes a humorous look at the quirks of cultural Christianity while subtly challenging the reader to search for more than a cultural faith.


Written in the trademark style of The Babylon Bee, this book humorously satirizes cultural Christianity while peppering in subtle challenges to the reader. Through humor and sarcasm (and a handy meter to rank your "holiness" as you progress through the book), readers will be called to find a more biblical understanding of the Christian faith, all while poking fun at the quirks of the modern, American Christian community.


My Thoughts: The Babylon Bee has always been one of the few websites whose articles I have clicked on whenever they crossed my dash. Though not always funny, they often hit on subjects that challenged Christians to think deeper about why they did or else believed something. So, when I saw this, I knew that it was likely to be a humorous read, peppered with critique of Christian culture. And I was far from disappointed.

Beginning with the Introduction, How to Be a Perfect Christian satirizes the very idea that you even can be perfect. And so often, the striving for perfection can blind us to others and to God. Using a Holiness Meter, the book tracks with each chapter our attempts to outshine Christian leaders such as Peter as well as Christ himself. From the very first chapter, it highlights the outward things we often look to as a marker of holiness, from church bulletins to Christian music.

The satire will not be for everyone. While I appreciated the jab at many Christians' understanding of the Holy Spirit by comparing it to the Force in Star Wars, not everyone will. Nor will everyone appreciate the tongue in cheek critiques of the most popular denominations and Biblical translations. However, for those who are willing to be made fun of through humor and sarcasm, this book may challenge you to look at the outward things you hold onto and maybe not worry so much as to whether or not your church has a full service coffee bar.

Was the book perfect? No. There were some critiques that I felt could have been more humorous and others that fell flat. And while I intend to read certain snippets to friends from my church, it isn't one that I will read over and over again. However, it is one I will recommend to those who I believe would appreciate its sense of humor.

I have provided an honest review after receiving an ARC from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment