Monday, October 1, 2018

Sons of Blackbird Mountain- Joanne Bischof

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Description: A tale of family, brotherhood, and the healing power of love

After the tragic death of her husband, Aven Norgaard is beckoned to give up her life in Norway to become a housekeeper in the rugged hills of nineteenth-century Appalachia. Upon arrival, she finds herself in the home of her late husband’s cousins—three brothers who make a living by brewing hard cider on their three-hundred-acre farm. Yet even as a stranger in a foreign land, Aven has hope to build a new life in this tight-knit family.

But her unassuming beauty disrupts the bond between the brothers. The youngest two both desire her hand, and Aven is caught in the middle, unsure where—and whether—to offer her affection. While Haakon is bold and passionate, it is Thor who casts the greatest spell upon her. Though Deaf, mute, and dependent on hard drink to cope with his silent pain, Thor possesses a sobering strength.

As autumn ushers in the apple harvest, the rift between Thor and Haakon deepens and Aven faces a choice that risks hearts. Will two brothers' longing for her quiet spirit tear apart a family? Can she find a tender belonging in this remote, rugged, and unfamiliar place?

A haunting tale of struggle and redemption, Sons of Blackbird Mountain is a portrait of grace in a world where the broken may find new life through the healing mercy of love.


My Thoughts: I had never read anything by this author before and, with so many others I know and love being published, I honestly had glanced over this one because of the title and it being set in the Appalachia, as most books I read set in that area are very stereotyping of Appalachian people. However, I saw later on that this book dealt with a man who was deaf, and I knew it would be a story unlike any other I had read before.

The last book I read with a deaf character was in the Freedom Seekers by Lois Walfrid Johnson, back in middle school. Ever since, I've been aware of how hard it is for people in the deaf community to communicate, find work, and simply live without being harassed. And I loved Bischof's depiction of this, particularly in how it affects Thor's ability to find love.

The other main topic broached in this book is that of alcoholism, the depiction which I both appreciated and struggled with. Knowing individuals are/have struggled with this addiction, I liked how all encompassing Bischof described this struggle, because it does take over the lives of everyone around the individual. But I also was looking for the negative side of alcoholism beyond just that Thor was a brute when unable to drink. Because, for the people involved, there are always terrible consequences in whatever form they may take.

Haakon, a character I both despised and felt extreme compassion for, also seemed to be the main person to suffer the consequences for everything that went wrong. And I mean everything. Some of those things were due to his own attitude, and others were a harsh hand dealt him. Some of the most emotional and gripping lines in this book are in regards to this characters, and I am still unable to think about them without feeling them like a punch to the gut.

Overall, I would not say that Sons of Blackbird Mountain is a perfect book. There are some descriptions that are awkward and moments were I was unable to follow a character's train of thought. But it also handles the complicated issues of family dynamics better than any other book I have read in a long time. For that reason, I very much recommend it.

I have provided an honest review after having received an ecopy of this book from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment