Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The Orphan's Wish- Melanie Dickerson

My Rating: 3 Stars

Description: Orphaned and alone, Aladdin travels from the streets of his Arab homeland to a strange, faraway place. Growing up in an orphanage, he meets young Lady Kirstyn, whose father who is the powerful Duke of Hagenheim. Despite the difference in their stations, Aladdin quickly becomes Kirstyn’s favorite companion, and their childhood friendship grows into a bond that time and opposition cannot break.

Even as a child, Aladdin works hard, learning all he can from his teachers. Through his integrity, intelligence, and sheer tenacity, he earns a position serving as the duke’s steward. But that isn't enough to erase the shame of being forced to steal as a small child—or the fact that he's an orphan with no status. If he ever wants to feel equal to his beautiful and generous friend Kirstyn, he must leave Hagenheim and seek his fortune.

Yet once Aladdin departs, Lady Kirstyn becomes a pawn in a terrible plot. Now, Aladdin and Kirstyn must rely on their bond to save her from unexpected danger. But will saving Kirstyn cost Aladdin his newfound status and everything he’s worked so hard to obtain?

An enchanting new version of the well-known tale, The Orphan's Wish tells a story of courage and loyalty, friendship and love, and reminds us what "family" really means.


My Thoughts: I was honestly skeptical when I saw that this was to be a retelling of Aladdin, set in Germany. I just couldn't see how all of the plot and story elements would translate to this new setting. And I have to say that I was unable to really find any hint of Aladdin in this story, other than a couple names and the events of the first two chapters. Maybe there were some similar plot elements, but those connections were stretching the spirit of the original story.

Outside of this being a retelling, there was not much that happened plot wise until about page 104. Aladdin leaves the Holy Land, comes to Germany, and he and Kirstyn become friends. But none of the interactions that happen during that time play any part in the plot later. And once the main events of the story begin, the story is still slow to play out.

Oddly, what I did like was Kirstyn's experience with the villains of the story. It played out very similarly to what I have read of real life occurrences of this situation, and I believe that the author was trying to portray the emotions of someone experiencing it as accurately as possible. I could also relate to Kirstyn's childhood fear of being unneeded by the people in her life, and that fear rearing its head in her moments of terror.

I do not recommend this as an Aladdin retelling, as there are far better ones out there. However, as a slow, clean, read, I might recommend it. It was not my favorite, but it was also uncomplicated and I know there are times when that is exactly the kind of read I want. It just wasn't at this time.

I have provided an honest review after having received a copy through the Fiction Guild.

No comments:

Post a Comment