Monday, May 27, 2019

Beauty in His Sight- April W. Gardner

My Rating: 5 Stars

Description: It's 1917, and Halifax is at war. Silas Quinn, street sweeper and army reject, remains on the home front, shunning God and society as religiously as they shun him. But the night he stumbles across a half-frozen prostitute, his eyes blink open, and his greater purpose is born: preserve and protect.

There'd been a day when shop girl Helen Fraser was desperate enough to believe a few nights in a brothel would cure her troubles. By some miracle, Major Jack Gordon deemed her worth saving, but Helen knows her meticulously recreated identity cannot last. What she doesn't expect is for its destruction to come about, not by a john or one of the madam's goons, but by a force great enough to flatten a city and bury her alive.

Set against the backdrop of the Halifax Explosion, Beautiful in His Sight is a Christian historical romance that explores unequivocal grace and identity in Christ.

My Thoughts: I've been in love with April's book ever since I first picked up her story about Totka and Copper Woman. That story had filled the place of a certain story which I had known had to exist but had not found up to that point. And I've followed April's releases ever since, eagerly devouring each new story.

This book is a massive tome, nearly twice the length of her other works. But it didn't feel like it (probably because I read it on my kindle, since I'm sure the weight of it would have reminded me of how big it is). The relationship of Helen and Silas is just so captivating, that I didn't want it to come to an end. And the setting of the Halifax Explosion provides a backdrop that is captivating in and of itself.

For readers wondering if this is the story for them, I would probably liken it to Francine River's Redeeming Love. April does not hide the darkness of the situation Helen is in or has been taken out of. And for some readers, that may be a lot to handle. But for others, it will be a wonderful story of beauty, love, and forgiveness.

I have provided an honest review after receiving an ecopy from the author.

https://amzn.to/2MaFuOC
*Also on Kindle Unlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment