Monday, May 13, 2019

Dead Sea Rising- Jerry B. Jenkins

My Rating: 2 Stars

Description: Nicole Berman is an archaeologist on the brink of a world-changing discovery. During her first dig in Jordan, she believes she has found concrete evidence of a biblical patriarch that could change history books forever. But someone doesn’t want the truth revealed. While urgently trying to connect pieces of an ancient puzzle, a dangerous enemy is out to stop her.

My Thoughts: When I picked up this book, I thought it was going to be a stand alone novel. Nothing about the cover or the description indicated that this was going to be a series. So, it was not until the end of the book that I started to wonder if maybe it could be a series, and an online search showed that this was the case. However, even had I known ahead of time that this was a duology, I don't think I would have liked it.

There are two stories taking place within Dead Sea Rising, one in modern day and one in the time of King Nimrod, mentioned in Genesis. Throughout the story, I was waiting for the moment when the two would connect. But even at the very end, I was still left wondering. I assume that the two will be connected in the next book, but not having that connection in this story made it difficult to care when the narrative switched between the timelines, sometimes every other page.

The individual narratives could have been interesting on their own, as I did think there was some mystery to what would happen. But neither was strong enough to support the weight of a novel, and so I could have easily skipped over sections that didn't seem to add much to the story.

The biggest issue I had with this, however, was that it did not live up to the description given. The story has very little to do with Nicole's work as an archaeologist or her theories. Her being an archaeologist was the entire reason I found interest in this book, as that is what I myself do for a living. Yet, while Nicole mentions her anticipated work, because she has not yet been granted access to the site she wants, the story revolves around an investigation into domestic abuse over a fall that Nicole's mother has had. And that is not the story that the description had promised.

I have provided an honest review after having received a copy of the book from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment