Sunday, March 24, 2013

Replication- Jill Williamson

My Rating: 4 stars

Description: When Your Life Is Not Your Own....

 Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to 'expire' in less than a month. To see the sky. 

Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars.

 As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he's ever known.


My Thoughts: This book was great. I could not stop thinking about the characters throughout the day when I was not reading. Just the lives these people live is mind boggling. This book could certainly be enjoyed by people of all ages. It made me laugh and got my adrenaline pumping. It also tore at my heart with what Martyr goes through. I just wish it was part of a series.

The only reason I do not give it 5 stars is because their are a few minor holes in the science and reasoning of the scientists. Still, they did not take from the story, simply made me aware that this was not real.

Here are some of my other thoughts and ideas on the book. They contain a lot of general spoilers, so do not highlight to read it unless you do not mind those.

Martyr and Abby are so cute together! I wish that the book had been longer, like Jill's Blood of Kings Trilogy. That would have been amazing. I also hope that one day she will decide to make a sequel (Let's demand it!). Another book following this one could go into how the Jasons adjust to life above ground. Do any of them find girlfriends or get jobs? Are they able to connect with people or do some, if not all, struggle with making friends outside of the Goyers and the other Jasons? Being that they were made for a purpose, a heavy theme in this story, could they some how change the world? With their skill sets and just plan oddity (I mean, there are 55 of them-well 56) they could be huge human rights activists or scientists, politicians, even firemen.

What happens with the more aggressive boys? Ones like Fido and Hummer need a lot of help. Do they get it help or not? And how does the world react to them?

Then what happens with JD? Does he stay away from the Jasons or come to see them as brothers? Does he break his mom's hold and live for himself or continue with the lies he has always known? Is he ever able to get a girlfriend and one that has some self-respect? There are almost never ending ways his story could go.

How about the fact that the Jasons all have Lupus? Do they find a cure or a way to all get transplants? Do any of them live past 35? Fifty-five is a large number of kidneys to find that are matches, especially with the struggle Dr. Kane had to find one that lead to his research. Dr. Goyer hopes to find cures and Abby loves science and the Jasons. Can they do something about this in the long run?

We found out that there are two other labs. Do they ever find them? What all is there at those? There could be 55 more Jasons somewhere that all need to be rescued. Along with the labs, there a lot more scientists missing. Will they continue to exploit any Jasons and data they have even without Dr. Kane? Will they create other clone groups, such as Calebs?

And my most pressing idea/ question- will Martyr and Abby get married?! Martyr really likes her and her him, but will it last past his meeting of other girls? Even if it does, will Abby have self-doubts in that she is the first girl Martyr met and the first to really love him? I know I would wonder if it was just that I was first or that he really cared for me as me, no matter who he could have.

My last question: Does Abby ever tell Martyr that her "dog" is really a cat?

Tell me what you think about what I said but please warn about any spoilers for others.

Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Goodreads
Like my review on Amazon
Like my review on Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Rebekah, and for reading the book. I had planned to write two more books in this series, but Zondervan only bought the first one. So ... maybe someday I could write the other books in the series, but who knows! :-)

    ReplyDelete