Friday, August 9, 2013

A Hero's Lot- Patrick Carr- Review

My Rating: 4 Stars

Description:When Sarin Valon, the corrupt secondus of the conclave, flees Erinon and the kingdom, Errol Stone believes his troubles have at last ended. But other forces bent on the destruction of the kingdom remain and conspire to accuse Errol and his friends of a conspiracy to usurp the throne. 

In a bid to keep the three of them from the axe, Archbenefice Canon sends Martin and Luis to Errol's home village, Callowford, to discover what makes him so important to the kingdom. But Errol is also accused of consorting with spirits. Convicted, his punishment is a journey to the enemy kingdom of Merakh, where he must find Sarin Valon, and kill him. To enforce their sentence, Errol is placed under a compulsion, and he is driven to accomplish his task or die resisting.


My Thoughts: I was so excited to read this and it did not disappoint. I loved it. Errol once again was once again the unexpected hero despite his reluctance. He is a hero that is easy to relate to because he has very real fears and emotions. He reacts the way many of us would if we were thrust into the same citation (other than we would not be quiet so awesome at it). I found that I wanted his life to perfect and was swept along in his realization that he had never controlled his life. I felt his pain at being someone else's puppet.

In this book, most of the secondary characters from the first play a larger role. I enjoyed learning more about Ru and Rohka, as well as Rale and Adora. A large part of the story also centered around Martin, Luis, and Cruk. While I liked the insight into Martin's thoughts, I was often upset to leave Errol's point of view for his. Because they spent much of the novel on different story paths, I little irritated. Still, Martin's separate journey gave information about Errol that I would not have seen otherwise.

Errol is a character with many weaknesses, balanced by prowess in battle. He is different than any other hero, and I enjoyed that. I can't wait to see what he becomes in the third book and to reunite with Liam so we can follow them to their singular path. When the final lots are cast, who will be King? And who will be Savior?


Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Goodreads
Like my review on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment