Monday, December 30, 2019

Midnight on the River Grey- Abigail Wilson

My Rating: 3 Stars

Description: Can one develop feelings for the man you swore to see hanged? That’s just what Rebecca fears she has done in this Gothic Regency romance. 

After her brother’s mysterious death, Rebecca Hunter vows to expose the man she believes responsible: Mr. Lewis Browning—known by the locals as the Midnight Devil and by Rebecca as her new guardian.

Summoned to his reclusive country estate to await her London season, Rebecca plans her own secret investigation among the darkened corridors of the mysterious Greybourne Hall. Yet Lewis Browning is not as she once imagined, and his motivation is horribly unclear. Recurrent nightmares and Rebecca’s restless feelings are further complicated by the shadow of her mother’s prior descent into madness and wondering if she, too, will follow the same heartbreaking path.

Even as midnight rides, strange injuries, and further murders lead back to Mr. Browning, Rebecca can’t ignore the subtle turn of her heart. Has she fallen for the man she swore would pay for her brother’s death? And moreover, can she trust him with her uncertain future?


My Thoughts:  I wasn't sure what to make of this story when I first started reading it. From the start, Rebecca seemed determined to blame Mr. Browning for her brother's murder despite there not being much reason to. It made Rebecca sort of flat in that she was determined to find guilt because of her own emotions on the matter of her brother's death.

As the story progressed, Rebecca's trust in Mr. Browning grows, and with that the story improves. The relationship between the two is a sweet one and Rebecca's motivation for discovering what had happened the night her brother died took on new shape in that the answers could improve Mr. Browning's standing in the community or else destroy him entirely. And I enjoyed the twist at the end, when Rebecca discovers what really happened. The true villain's identity is a well done reveal that sets up a good climax for the ending.

Throughout the narrative, I found that there were certain lines and phrase that read awkwardly. I believe that was done to imitate dialogue from the period and that for many readers, this may be more immersive. For myself, I found that it pulled me from the story, though less so nearing the end. As to my final opinion on the story, I found that I did enjoy it and would recommend it to those who love regency era works of fiction.

I have provided an honest review after having received a copy of the book through the FictionGuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment