Friday, July 26, 2013

The Champion- Carla Capshaw

 So, did anyone try last weeks bingo? If you don't remember, it was dog. This week was weapon, and this was the book I chose:

My Rating: 3 Stars

Description: A Warrior without Equal, a Woman without Options.
Triumphs in the Coliseum--and society bedchambers-- made gladiator Alexius of Iolcos famous for his brutal skill and womanizing ways. Yet the only woman who intrigues him is Tiberia the Younger, who now needs his help. Protecting Tiberia places Alexius in the greatest danger he has ever known--from her vengeful father and his own heart...

Becoming a temple priestess may be an honor, but Tibi can't bear to surrender her freedom or her newfound faith. Alexius's solution stuns her. Marriage...to a gladiator! Scorned by her noble family, Tibi always felt unworthy. But with her champion by her side, can she accept--and give--a love strong enough to vanquish their enemies?


My Thoughts: Alexius is amazing. Just saying... While I did not really experience the unsavory side of him, I still saw the fallout of his past actions in a way to make his struggles believable. That he was willing to take in Tibi even though it could cost him his fortune made him a hero in my eyes. He did everything to protect her and to encourage her to be herself.

Tibi was a bit more confusing to me. She had a brutally abusive father yet was uncowed and was beautiful yet did not know it (as many heroines are). I guess I would have preferred that she had been more unique.

The tension and struggle through the first half of the book kept me staying up late to read as much as I could. This was where I loved Alexius the most and enjoyed the Greek side of him. However, toward the end, I began to loose interest. It seemed to mirror the end of The Gladiator too much. I wish that Capshaw could have come up with a better way to end the conflict than them to end up in the arena as in the other novella.


Buy from Amazon
Buy from Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Goodreads
Like my review on Amazon
Like my review on Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment