Monday, October 21, 2013

Writing Tip- Cutting It

Your book is your baby. You have loved it and watched it grow. Nothing could feel worse that cutting out some of the words that you spent hours slaving over.

Except for the knowledge that you did not allow it to reach its full potential.

I know how it feels. I am at the point in my novel, Bonded Souls, where I have to make some difficult choices. What will make it better, what will make it shine? After receiving the comments and critiques from the judges at Novel Rocket last week, I saw that I needed to start cutting words. While few looked like this, one paragraph had this comment from a judge: "Write tight".

The paragraph I had written was:

Oh, no.” Tilly pushed back to her feet with a moan. “Mother is going to kill me.” She attempted a swipe at a green stain now visible on the back of her dress. Instead, her hand swatted at the air behind her.


The suggestion from the judge was:

 
Oh, no.” Tilly pushed back to her feet and moaned. “Mother will kill me.” She a swiped at a green stain now visible on the back of her dress. But her hand swatted only air.


While I will still need to make changes, the suggestion did helped me to see where I need to cut out unneeded words. Where one word will fit better than two.


I hope the example helps you as well!





2 comments: