Friday, April 19, 2013

Reached- Ally Condie

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Description:
After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.


My Thoughts: This is a book about strength and courage. It is about art and creation, being who your and not letting others hold you back. In a world without art, song, or books (gasp!), where every action you make is recorded and every one you will make is predicted. Who you marry is decided and when you die is predetermined. Do not go gentle into that dark night.

I loved this book. Usually I do not read secular YA fiction because most authors of such are terrible writers. You do not want to know the awful books I have attempted to read and then gave up because it either encouraged self-destructive tendencies (from my Christian standpoint), had no true point or message (a must for me to care), or simply could have been written by a teenager with no prior experience with sentence structure or vocabulary. However, now and again I find a series that I love and which redeems the genre.

Reached is the third in perhaps my favorite YA Dystopian series ever. The author truly knows what she is doing. She pulls in history, art, myth, and even children's stories to weave a master tale. Not only that, but she leaves me feeling uplifted and hopeful, rather than depressed like most dystopians I have read.

I dropped a half star mostly because the "d word" was thrown out a couple times (like five). After reading Dylan Thomas' poetry, the use of that word would jerk me out of the rhythm of the story. I don't remember that happening in the other books (?). Still, it hardly took away my appreciation.

For those wondering, I am team Ky. Why? Because he is felt more relatable to me. Xander always had everything together, making it hard to feel for him. He would be fine almost no matter what happened.

Here is a cool picture I found for the trilogy:



Buy on Amazon:
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Goodreads
Like my review on Amazon
Like my review on Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment