Monday, May 13, 2013

Captives- Jill Williamson

My Rating: 4 Stars

Description: When eighteen-year-old Levi returned from Denver City with his latest scavenged finds, he never imagined he’d find his village of Glenrock decimated, loved ones killed, and many—including his fiancée, Jem—taken captive. Now alone, Levi is determined to rescue what remains of his people, even if it means entering the Safe Lands, a walled city that seems anything but safe.

Omar knows he betrayed his brother by sending him away, but helping the enforcers was necessary. Living off the land and clinging to an outdated religion holds his village back. The Safe Lands has protected people since the plague decimated the world generations ago … and its rulers have promised power and wealth beyond Omar’s dreams.

Meanwhile, their brother Mason has been granted a position inside the Safe Lands, and may be able to use his captivity to save not only the people of his village, but also possibly find a cure for the virus that threatens everyone within the Safe Lands’ walls. Will Mason uncover the truth hidden behind the Safe Lands’ façade before it’s too late?


My Thoughts: This is a great dystopian. After they all entered the Safe Lands, I was having a hard time putting the book down. I felt what was happening, imagining my own family in this situation. Shaylinn was truly brave in the face of what happened to her. This book also deals with a lot a real situations, dealing with drugs and relationships (Some might not be understood or appropriate for younger children though mature teens should be able to handle it as most are inferred and not show. I actually think that teens should read something like this to get a sense of how choices affect lives, without getting too graphic).

At first, I did not like a lot of the characters. They treated each other poorly and could be self centered. However, I liked the changes that came over them as they learned to appreciate each other. Jill did an amazing job of showing characters personalities from different perspectives (To Levi, Elder Justin was a loving if harsh father while to Omar he was a cruel father). I think it gave a great view of real life and sibling revelries.

And the Cliff Hanger!! I need to know what happens. The cliff hanger left me wanting more without disappointing me.

I would have given five stars if somethings had been explained. Like how the world had advanced and fallen apart so much by 2088. It does not seem like enough time for every value to be flipped on its head.

I made a Pinterest board for this book. Check it out here.


Here is the Trailer!

Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Goodreads
Like my review on Amazon
Like my review on Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Christian Books

No comments:

Post a Comment