Sunday, May 5, 2013

Harvest of Gold- Tessa Afshar

My Rating: 4 Stars

Description: The scribe Sarah married Darius, and at times she feels as if she has married the Persian aristocracy, too. There is another point she did not count on in her marriage-Sarah has grown to love her husband. Sarah has wealth, property, honor, and power, but her husband's love still seems unattainable.

Although his mother was an Israelite, Darius remains skeptical that his Jewish wife is the right choice for him, particularly when she conspires with her cousin Nehemiah to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. Ordered to assist in the effort, the couple begins a journey to the homeland of his mother's people. Will the road filled with danger, conflict, and surprising memories, help Darius to see the hand of God at work in his life-and even in his marriage?

A hidden message, treachery, opposition, and a God-given success, will lead to an unlikely bounty.


My Thoughts:  So unlike the first book, this one has three POVs instead of one. I'm not so sure how I felt about that. For Sarah and Nehemiah, it worked out fine while Darius sounded a little off. Some of his comments were more like something Sarah would have said (This might just be because I read a pre-copy from netgalley).

Other than that, the book was good. I really enjoyed the themes of forgiveness and trust. Reading it brought to mind things I needed to work on in my own life.

So I guess what I am saying is, I liked the book. I was just disappointed after thinking that it would be like the first and it was not. If I had not read Harvest of Rubies already, or I had read the final draft, I believe I would have loved this.

I'm giving the book 4 stars because I believe that the final copy (the one sold in stores) would be rated such.



Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Like my review on Goodreads
Like my review on Amazon
Like my review on Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment